Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Although the sky was grey and overcast, the rain held off Saturday, March 18, as White Bird Rodeo crowned its new queen for the coming year.
Cassie SueAnne Chandler, 15, was named queen for the upcoming rodeo year. She is a freshman at Grangeville High School and the daughter of Travis and Shandra Chandler of Slate Creek.
“In White Bird, friends are more like family,” Chandler said in her speech at the community hall following her riding tryout at the arena where she rode her horse, Cowboy, age 12.
Chandler said she and her father were in a life-threatening accident in 2013 and her hometown of White Bird “was so supportive of my family and me.”
“I believe in paying it forward,” she explained. “Representing White Bird as queen would not only be an honor but also a way I could give back to my hometown in such a positive way.”
Chandler is involved in volleyball and softball at GHS. She represented Riggins as its rodeo queen in 2013. She is also a member of the Fenn Livestock 4-H Club. Aside from Cowboy, she also will ride her 16-year-old horse, Tuff.
“First and foremost, my love is ranching with my family and trying to build our family’s cow herd,” she said.
Giving up her crown after representing White Bird for the past year was Bella Klapprich, 16, a sophomore at Grangeville High School
“I want to thank everyone, especially my Nana and Papa for always being there for me, and my mom for everything she has done for me,” – from hairdresser and fashion designer to horse tail braider and driver, Klapprich said.
She is the daughter of Billejo Klapprich and Melissa Klapprich, both of Grangeville.
The White Bird Rodeo is set for Father’s Day weekend.
More like this story
- White Bird Rodeo Queen: Chandler - ‘Absolutely unforgettable’ experience
- Klapprich chosen as 2016 White Bird Rodeo Queen
- 2016 White Bird Rodeo Queen Bella Klapprich: ‘I enjoy being an inspiration’ -- Klapprich’s mom, aunt each served as queens
- Queens Run In The Family
- Royalty representing organizations; tryouts upcoming for 2015-16 year
- Riding High
- 57K enter Super Hunt drawing
- Sports...in brief
- Pacific Cabinets Inc. names Casey Forsmann as GM
- Corral Dust: Two Shiznits food trailers; drill team celebrates 60 years
- It's Your Business: Kooskia splash pad to open June 24; Ferdinand clinic gets new veterinarian
- Clearwater Valley News: ‘Christmas in July’ vendors sought
- Elk City News: Library’s summer reading program to begin today
- Lowell / Syringa News: Circus members take to the river
Flag Day Ceremony
Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)