Wednesday, May 21, 2014
CALDWELL — Horseshoe Bend’s Brittney Elliot navigated Prairie’s lineup as no southern pitcher has in a decade, shutting the Pirates out of the state championship game by a 10-0 score during the 1A softball semifinals last Saturday, May 17.
Including an 8-1 win she keyed the day before, Elliot scattered 11 hits during 12 innings against the Pirates, who hammered Notus 14-0 to advance to Saturday’s games.
With Elliot firing Friday, Genesee smashed Horseshoe Bend 11-2 to reach the title game. But Elliot solved the Bulldogs on Saturday, keying Horseshoe Bend’s 7-3 and 11-1 victories and breaking the Whitepine League’s run of consecutive state titles, which dates back to 2004.
Prairie won five softball championships during that stretch and reached the championship game in 10 consecutive years.
More like this story
- DeDe Nielsen, 57
- Fish and Game Commission approves new fishing rules for 2016-18
- Main Street Lights
- Oh, deer! Girls help young animal in distress
- Hunting camps report ‘good luck’
- Savages on way to play-offs; Footballers play in Kibbie Dome Nov. 21
- Tempus Fugit
- Birth: Zachary Amos Robledo
- Birth: MicKenna Marri-Ann Wingfield
- Birth: Nya Larae Medley