Wednesday, May 21, 2014
CALDWELL — Horseshoe Bend’s Brittney Elliot navigated Prairie’s lineup as no southern pitcher has in a decade, shutting the Pirates out of the state championship game by a 10-0 score during the 1A softball semifinals last Saturday, May 17.
Including an 8-1 win she keyed the day before, Elliot scattered 11 hits during 12 innings against the Pirates, who hammered Notus 14-0 to advance to Saturday’s games.
With Elliot firing Friday, Genesee smashed Horseshoe Bend 11-2 to reach the title game. But Elliot solved the Bulldogs on Saturday, keying Horseshoe Bend’s 7-3 and 11-1 victories and breaking the Whitepine League’s run of consecutive state titles, which dates back to 2004.
Prairie won five softball championships during that stretch and reached the championship game in 10 consecutive years.
More like this story
- WEDNESDAY: Savages to host key league game
- Full service ortho available in Grangeville
- It's Your Business: Partsway to host high school tech night
- Pine tree hosts 60th annual meeting
- WHITE BIRD NEWS: Fireman’s ball set for this Saturday
- Quilts of Valor
- ELK CITY NEWS: Dumpster plans under way for town
- RIGGINS NEWS: Areona’s magnets available
- COTTONWOOD NEWS: Benefit purse auction set for March 5
- Hunter Safety
Fly fishing clinic
Rae Brothers sporting goods hosts steel head flyfishing clinic with Mark Imus Jan. 30, 2016. Enlarge