Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Attorneys for Idaho County, Sheriff Doug Giddings and Undersheriff Jim Gorges have filed a request for a jury trial and a point-by-point denial of plaintiffs’ allegations in the civil suit following from an illegal sexual relationship between then-ICSO deputy Daniel Funderburg and a Kamiah-area minor teenage girl.
In 2013, Funderburg pleaded guilty and was sentenced for sexual battery of the 16 to 17-year-old; details on the civil complaint were reported in the Free Press May 7.
Beyond responding to the allegations, the county’s filing – dated May 8 and filed in U.S. District Court – puts forward 13 defenses. Among them: that “plaintiffs’ damages, if any, were caused by the negligence or fault of plaintiffs” and that the plaintiffs may have “failed to mitigate their damages.”
More like this story
- July 3 rodeo ‘Pink Out’ to raise cancer awareness, local funds
- Stanley Cup winner Cole coming to Border Days
- Seubert's Haul
- CV wrestling fund-raiser exceeds goal on $10K gift
- Rough, No Tumble
- Clearwater River fishery to stay open this week
- Sports...in brief
- Marek nabs bronc prize
- Grangeville Farmers’ Market to open July 2; Food stamps will be accepted at this year’s market
- Thanks to Larson’s