Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Attorneys for Idaho County, Sheriff Doug Giddings and Undersheriff Jim Gorges have filed a request for a jury trial and a point-by-point denial of plaintiffs’ allegations in the civil suit following from an illegal sexual relationship between then-ICSO deputy Daniel Funderburg and a Kamiah-area minor teenage girl.
In 2013, Funderburg pleaded guilty and was sentenced for sexual battery of the 16 to 17-year-old; details on the civil complaint were reported in the Free Press May 7.
Beyond responding to the allegations, the county’s filing – dated May 8 and filed in U.S. District Court – puts forward 13 defenses. Among them: that “plaintiffs’ damages, if any, were caused by the negligence or fault of plaintiffs” and that the plaintiffs may have “failed to mitigate their damages.”
More like this story
- Minor injuries result from Nov. 20 three-vehicle crash at US 95 intersection
- Tribe health center awarded half-million USDA grant
- Dec. 3 hearing set for comment on 129,000-pound truck route applications
- Council to review helicopter ordinance for change, passage at Dec. 7 meeting
- Lands management topic at Kamiah meeting
- Alcohol a suspected factor in Nov. 18 crash
- Running against the wind
- We’re a great county, good people
- Support exchange; get local work force back into woods to harvest
- Morality of nation dropped so low Hillary has chance to be president