Wednesday, March 26, 2014
GRANGEVILLE – Next month the Grangeville City Council will be reviewing a proposed ordinance designating an ADA downtown area that would include six new parking spaces for the disabled.
If adopted, the regulation would bring the city into compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements for one designated downtown parking space per block.
At its March 17 meeting, council designated city attorney Adam Green to draft an ordinance that would designate a three-block ADA downtown area from College to Meadow streets – along Main Street and extending to north and south streets. As part of this, six ADA parking spaces would be specified:
• On North College Street by Radio Shack;
• Main Street, in front of K&R Video;
• Main Street, front of Irwin Drug;
• Main Street, front of Northwest Insurance;
• Main Street, front of Oscar’s Restaurant; and
• Main Street, front of US Bank.
Council deliberated on several locations, choosing these as the provided access to an adjacent sidewalk ramp or driveway, and that – in the instance at Irwin Drug – they provided close access to a busy section of town. These placements at intersections or driveways allow for the extra length required in an ADA spot, minimizing the reduction of already limited downtown parking that has been a council concern through this issue.
This proposed ordinance will be introduced at the April 7 meeting. However, the council may put off its adoption until their next meeting to allow for public review and comment.
Unauthorized parking in an ADA spot is a traffic infraction incurring a $96 fine.
More like this story
- Bell Equipment, INC
- Little Goose Lock and Dam
- Efficient Winter Feeding: Group and Evaluate
- Equine Therapy with Jessi Guinn
- Camas Farms: a childhood necessity turns into business
- Lindsay Creek Vineyards: destined for growth
- Grain producers far from getting rich
- Tim McNamee: Riding home on a loose rain
- Producer Profile: Clark Tacke
- Homestead Ministries: Minimizing hunger with local resources and volunteers
GHS Varsity Blue Mah-Na Mah-Na March 21, 2017
Grangeville High School’s Varsity Blue Choir performs Piero Umilian’s “Mah-Na Mah-Na” at the March 21, 2017, concert, directed by Mr. Phillip Golde. Enlarge
Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)