Wednesday, March 26, 2014
GRANGEVILLE – Next month the Grangeville City Council will be reviewing a proposed ordinance designating an ADA downtown area that would include six new parking spaces for the disabled.
If adopted, the regulation would bring the city into compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements for one designated downtown parking space per block.
At its March 17 meeting, council designated city attorney Adam Green to draft an ordinance that would designate a three-block ADA downtown area from College to Meadow streets – along Main Street and extending to north and south streets. As part of this, six ADA parking spaces would be specified:
• On North College Street by Radio Shack;
• Main Street, in front of K&R Video;
• Main Street, front of Irwin Drug;
• Main Street, front of Northwest Insurance;
• Main Street, front of Oscar’s Restaurant; and
• Main Street, front of US Bank.
Council deliberated on several locations, choosing these as the provided access to an adjacent sidewalk ramp or driveway, and that – in the instance at Irwin Drug – they provided close access to a busy section of town. These placements at intersections or driveways allow for the extra length required in an ADA spot, minimizing the reduction of already limited downtown parking that has been a council concern through this issue.
This proposed ordinance will be introduced at the April 7 meeting. However, the council may put off its adoption until their next meeting to allow for public review and comment.
Unauthorized parking in an ADA spot is a traffic infraction incurring a $96 fine.
More like this story
- PSA: Grangeville-Salmon Road dust abatement work scheduled Thursday
- Arnzen sets Mt. Misery women’s ultra record
- 24th annual Winchester Open Rodeo set July 2-3
- Lost in the wilds, or finding your way home when the smoke clears
- Most, but not all camping, travel options open
- Sports...in brief
- Friday night rodeo draw looks loaded
- Corral Dust: Rodeo, parades and reunions, oh, my!
- Sarah E. Howell, 75