Wednesday, January 29, 2014
A 60-42 road win over third place Genesee last Saturday, Jan. 25, leaves Prairie tied with Lapwai for the Whitepine League lead. With the victory, the Pirates maintained the gain they made with a 64-57 win over the Wildcats on Jan. 17.
Lapwai had stood alone atop the league standings since pulling out a 68-60 win over PHS in December. But with 20 points from Kayla Schumacher, 14 from Kyndahl Ulmer and 11 from Leah Holthaus, Prairie defended its home floor to draw even. Her performance in that win made Schumacher the Lewiston Tribune’s prep athlete of the week.
Then, against Genesee, Schumacher went for a 17-10 double-double as Ulmer scored 25. Genesee led 15-12 after the first, but the Pirates held the Bulldogs under 10 in each subsequent quarter and outscored Genesee 48-27 the rest of the way.
Coming — Prairie (14-3, 9-1 WPL) had two league games remaining as of the Jan. 28 print deadline; the Pirates will host Potlatch for their league finale on Jan. 31 and they’re set to visit non-league Kendrick on Feb 1. PHS hosted Kamiah last Tuesday.
The district tournament is scheduled to run Feb. 5-13 at LCSC.
More like this story
- Fish and Game temporarily halts online license and tag sales
- Danly to join Walla Walla softball program
- Sports...in brief
- Bowling leagues starting up
- Farmers’ market asks customers to complete survey this Saturday
- It's Your Business: Stop by Hoene’s, win prizes
- In the News - Aug. 24, 2016
- Cottonwood News: Purchase ‘Mystery Night’ tickets now
- Riggins News: Fire continues to burn in Riggins
Downpour in Grangeville soaks Main Street
Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)