Wednesday, January 29, 2014
A 60-42 road win over third place Genesee last Saturday, Jan. 25, leaves Prairie tied with Lapwai for the Whitepine League lead. With the victory, the Pirates maintained the gain they made with a 64-57 win over the Wildcats on Jan. 17.
Lapwai had stood alone atop the league standings since pulling out a 68-60 win over PHS in December. But with 20 points from Kayla Schumacher, 14 from Kyndahl Ulmer and 11 from Leah Holthaus, Prairie defended its home floor to draw even. Her performance in that win made Schumacher the Lewiston Tribune’s prep athlete of the week.
Then, against Genesee, Schumacher went for a 17-10 double-double as Ulmer scored 25. Genesee led 15-12 after the first, but the Pirates held the Bulldogs under 10 in each subsequent quarter and outscored Genesee 48-27 the rest of the way.
Coming — Prairie (14-3, 9-1 WPL) had two league games remaining as of the Jan. 28 print deadline; the Pirates will host Potlatch for their league finale on Jan. 31 and they’re set to visit non-league Kendrick on Feb 1. PHS hosted Kamiah last Tuesday.
The district tournament is scheduled to run Feb. 5-13 at LCSC.
More like this story
- Training for the future: HOSA students fare well at annual state competition
- KHS kids all qualify for nationals
- Tar Wars Winner
- Student’s photo makes it to national competition
- Salmon River schools seek new community reader board
- Clearwater Valley students tour university
- Somewhere In Space
- Temous Fugit
- Dinner honors Syringa volunteers
- Riggins News: Eggebrecht is EMS director