Wednesday, January 29, 2014
COTTONWOOD No Whitepine League team has come within seven points of snapping Prairie’s perfect 7-0 WPL record, and in two regular season games, Troy didn’t come within 20.
The Pirates thrashed the Trojans 76-49 last Friday night, Jan. 24, as Rhett Schlader (18 points), Lucas Arnzen (14), Jake Bruner (13) and Tanner Ross (10) all broke double-digits for coach Teel Bruner’s squad.
Prior to their trip to Orofino last Thursday night, Jan. 23, no team had posted a final score within one possession of the undefeated Pirates, who edged the Maniacs 51-48 at the conclusion of a wild fourth quarter.
Prairie trailed 28-25 at halftime, but held Orofino to seven points to knot it at 35-up through three.
Schlader broke a tie game and won it with a three-pointer with five seconds remaining.
Arnzen totaled 16 points against Orofino, and was joined in double-digits by Bruner (15) and Schlader (11).
Grangeville played the Pirates within six points earlier this month, but PHS will not face GHS again this season.
Coming — Prairie (13-0, 7-0 WPL) has league games against Lapwai (at home 7:30 p.m. Jan. 30) and Genesee (at Genesee 5:30 p.m. Feb. 1).
Then PHS will host Orofino at 7 p.m. Monday, Feb. 3, followed by another league game, 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 4 at Potlatch.
The rest of Prairie’s slate includes Salmon River Feb. 6 at Riggins, CV Feb. 11 at Kooskia and Kamiah Feb. 14 at home.
More like this story
- Border Days Grand Marshal 2016: Wayne James; James’ family background steeped in Border Days history
- PSA: Grangeville-Salmon Road dust abatement work scheduled Thursday
- Arnzen sets Mt. Misery women’s ultra record
- 24th annual Winchester Open Rodeo set July 2-3
- Lost in the wilds, or finding your way home when the smoke clears
- Most, but not all camping, travel options open
- Sports...in brief
- Friday night rodeo draw looks loaded
- Corral Dust: Rodeo, parades and reunions, oh, my!
Border Days Rodeo: Rainy Robinson
Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)