Wednesday, January 29, 2014
GRANGEVILLE — Federal prosecutors are formally charging a former Grangeville postal worker with misappropriation of postal funds during a three-year period and providing a false statement regarding the matter to U.S. Special Agent.
The two-page indictment was filed in Coeur d’Alene last Wednesday, Jan. 22, in U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho against Mari A. Mort. According to the indictment prosecutors allege that Mort, while acting as a Grangeville Postal Service clerk from Feb. 14, 2011, to June 13, 2013, took money and converted in excess of $1,000 under her control.
Prosecutors then allege Mort, on June 13, 2013, provided a false statement to a special agent with the USPS Office of Inspector General that she did not convert to her own use this money by issuing unnecessary Postage Validation Imprint (PVI) refunds.
Charges are felonies that both carry maximum fines of up to $250,000. Misappropriation carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and the false statement charge carries up to five years.
An indictment is a formal accusation that a person committed a crime; this is presented to a grand jury for review to determine whether the evidence warrants the matter to go to trial or be dismissed.
A hearing date in U.S. District Court in the matter is pending.
More like this story
- Slides, debris result in closures on county, USFS roads
- Higgins to return to Kamiah as superintendent
- Community walks start April 1
- Lt. Governor declares Idaho, Lewis counties in state of emergency
- Runoff from heavy rains fill pool at Jerry Johnson rec site
- Court Records: District/Magistrate
- Dispatch Log: ICSO, GPD, CPD
- CIAA celebrates founding member Eddie Olson
- Good legislative effort continues for sexual assault victims
GHS Varsity Blue Mah-Na Mah-Na March 21, 2017
Grangeville High School’s Varsity Blue Choir performs Piero Umilian’s “Mah-Na Mah-Na” at the March 21, 2017, concert, directed by Mr. Phillip Golde. Enlarge
Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)