Wednesday, February 5, 2014
2A District II tourney
TROY—Grangeville, undefeated in the Central Idaho League this season, will have the top seed at the 2A District II tournament, set to open at 1 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8. GHS will face fourth seed Orofino in a rematch of Monday night’s 60-12 Bulldogs victory.
Should Grangeville remain unbeaten, GHS would play at 6 p.m. on Feb. 10 and 6 p.m. on Feb. 14.
St. Maries and Charter will play at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, and would need to win at 6 p.m. Feb. 12 to reach the finals.
1AD1 District II tourney
LEWISTON — The 1A girls Division I and Division II Whitepine League basketball playoffs will begin Thursday night, Feb. 6, with district play-in games, and will continue through next Monday, Feb. 13, with a total of five slots at stake for the 14 teams in 1A District II.
Seven of those teams — Lapwai, Prairie, Genesee, Potlatch, Clearwater Valley, Troy and Kamiah — will vie for two upper division state berths. Placing third in the tournament will extend the season to the state play-in round.
Seven will vie for the lower division’s one automatic berth and one play-in: Kendrick, Nezperce, Summit, Highland, Deary, Logos and Timberline.
All the 1A district tournament games will be played at the Lewis-Clark State College activity center.
The lower division tournament will open with Timberline taking on Logos in an elimination game at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 6.
That night, Highland will play Deary at 8 p.m.
On Feb. 7, Summit will take on the Logos-Highland winner, in a loser-out game, tip-off at 5 p.m.
Should Summit advance, the Patriots would meet Nezperce in the quarterfinal round at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 8.
With a win over Nezperce, Summit would play for the district title at 8 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 10. With a loss to Nezperce, the Patriots would need wins at 5 p.m. Feb. 10, at 6 p.m. Feb. 13, and another over the District I representative at the state play-in, 4 p.m. Feb. 15 at St. Maries.
The 1A Division I district tournament will open with Kamiah-Troy at 5 p.m. on Feb. 6 at LCSC, where all the Whitepine League tournament games will be played.
The Kamiah-Troy winner will face Genesee in an elimination game at 6:30 p.m. on Friday night, Feb. 7, and Clearwater Valley will square off with Potlatch in a knockout game at 8 p.m. that night.
The highest remaining seed will face Prairie at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 8. The lowest remaining seed will face Lapwai at 6 p.m. that night.
Given the degree to which they dominated the league during the regular season, Prairie and Lapwai are likely to square off in the district championship game at 6:30 p.m. on Monday night, Feb. 10, but if either falters, another WPL team would nab an automatic state berth.
The district’s third-place game will be played at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 13; the third-place team would have to beat the District I champion at 6 p.m. on Feb. 15 to qualify for state.
More like this story
- District II girls basketball tournament brackets announced
- Volleyball tournaments: Bulldogs advance
- District II volleyball tournament brackets announced
- 1AD1 District II tournament matchups: Prairie pops CV, Kamiah in post-season preppers
- Girls basketball roundup: Grangeville crushes Charter, targets district title
- Minor injuries result from Nov. 20 three-vehicle crash at US 95 intersection
- Tribe health center awarded half-million USDA grant
- Dec. 3 hearing set for comment on 129,000-pound truck route applications
- Council to review helicopter ordinance for change, passage at Dec. 7 meeting
- Alcohol a suspected factor in Nov. 18 crash
- Running against the wind
- We’re a great county, good people
- Support exchange; get local work force back into woods to harvest
- Morality of nation dropped so low Hillary has chance to be president
- Opposed to state taking over and selling off our public lands