Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Recreation managers at the Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests have struggled during the past 10 years to keep campgrounds, cabins and lookout rentals open without raising fees during a time when budgets have significantly declined resulting in staff and service reductions. A study of this problem evaluated three options: reduce services, or manage fee sites using a concessionaire, or raise fees at selected developed sites. In light of public comments already taken, the forests are moving to increase fees at developed campgrounds and cabin/lookout rental sites.
Recreation managers at the Nez Perce–Clearwater National Forests are taking public comments on a proposal to increase fees at 29 campgrounds and cabin/lookout rentals in three zones: the North Zone, including the Palouse and North Fork Ranger districts; the Central Zone, including the Lochsa, Moose Creek (Selway River), and Powell Ranger districts; and the South Zone including the Red River, Elk City, South Fork of the Clearwater and Salmon River districts.
A public forum to hear comments will be held Thursday, March 27, in Coeur d’Alene. The regular Resource Advisory Council meeting will begin at 9:30 a.m. at the BLM Coeur d’Alene District Office located at 3815 Schreiber Way in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, with the Recreation RAC to hear comments on the fee increases at 11 a.m.
More like this story
- GHS cheerleading meeting, clinic set for June 7-8
- Lindsley throws All-America discus at NAIA championships
- F&G board to reconsider chinook fishing closures at June 2 meeting
- Grangeville accident briefly slows weekend travelers
- Lindsley raises C of I hammer throw record at NAIA national meet
- Get Acquainted Spotlight: Syringa Hospital and Clinics
- Get Acquainted Spotlight: Stark Plumbing
- Get Acquainted Spotlight: Jonathan Rich Tree Care
- Get Acquainted Spotlight: CHS Primeland
- Get Acquainted Spotlight: Norco
Neighborhood Experts: Bettie's Floors -- Carpet
Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)