Wednesday, October 23, 2013
Most Idaho Fish and Game check stations around the state reported more hunters participating this year than in 2012 for the October deer hunting season opener.
In a series of snapshots from 12 check stations around the state on the opening weekend, almost 7,000 hunters brought in 1,116 animals.
Last year 5,600 hunters bagged 1,031 animals.
Few hunters showed up at the Clearwater Region check stations, but all the animals checked were in good condition. Weather was fair to nice. Deer didn't seem to be moving much yet compared to years past.
—IDFG news release
Fall chinook harvest closing
Chinook salmon fishing will end on the Snake and Clearwater rivers Thursday, Oct. 31 – except a short reach on the Snake River below Hells Canyon Dam, which closes Nov. 17.
As of Oct. 21, anglers had caught 267 marked adults and 161 jacks fall chinook and caught and released 1,142 unmarked fish in the lower Clearwater River. They caught and kept 861 adults and 671 jacks in the Snake River, for a total of 1,532 fish.
This year, almost 54,812 adult fall hatchery-origin chinook and about 21,366 jacks crossed Lower Granite Dam.
More like this story
- State wrestlers continue in contention tomorrow
- King’s store to close
- Syringa officially affiliates with Kootenai
- Syringa Pharmacy to open its doors April 1
- Dancing The Night Away
- Listening sessions set to discuss commerce, tourism, industry
- It's Your Business: After-hours set for Idaho County Vets Center; Get Acquainted is here
- Lincoln Day Dinner in Greencreek this Saturday, Feb. 25
- White Bird News: YouTube video does not accurately reflect town
- Elk City News: General Store is library drop-off
What NOT to give this Valentine's Day
The Free Press recently conducted a little "on the street" market research. Are you looking to give the perfect gifts this Valentine's Day? Make sure you check out next week's Idaho County Free Press and Shopper for relationship saving ideas. Enlarge
Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)