Saturday, November 16, 2013
A couple of big plays during the first half put Salmon River in charge, and the Savages added a 78-yard run by Leighton Vander Esch on the second play of the third quarter. They went on to win 44-0 Saturday; with the win, Salmon River reaches its second consecutive 1AD2 state title game.
Near the end of the first quarter, McCoy Hale opened the scoring on a deep pass from Vander Esch, splitting two defenders to make the catch and escaping from traffic as the defenders wiped each other out. Vander Esch found a rhythm running the ball after that, ripping five straight scores through the heart of the Dietrich rushing defense.
The Savages will play Long Pin Conference familiar Council in the title game, which is set for 5 p.m. (MT) on Nov. 22 at Boise State University. Check out the Nov. 20 print edition for details on this game.
Salmon River 44, Dietrich 0
Saturday, Nov. 16, at Dietrich High School
Savage 8 8 14 14 - 44
Blue Devils 0 0 0 0 - 0
S - McCoy Hale 73-yd pass from Leighton Vander Esch (Vander Esch run)
S - Vander Esch 32-yd run (Vander Esch run)
S - Vander Esch 68-yd run (Jimmy Shepherd run)
S - Vander Esch 33-yd run (run failed)
S - Vander Esch 20-yd run (run failed)
S - Vander Esch 1-yd run (Beau'd Hopkins pass from Vander Esch)
More like this story
- IDL: Grangeville-area prescribed burn "highly successful"
- Call Log: Lewis County Sheriff
- Court Records: District/Magistrate
- Government: Idaho County Commission
- Outdoor classroom has been teaching kids for 30 years
- Area’s mining history to be discussed at Thursday program
- ‘Reading buddies’ meant to instill love of literacy
- Census shows Idaho County gain in 65 and older, 20-to-39 age groups
- District to decide $500,000 water revenue bond on Nov. 3
- Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forest visitor surveys begin Oct. 1
USDA TV Feature: Improving Poultry Science
A USDA researcher is working to improve the science of poultry farming. Enlarge