Wednesday, December 11, 2013
An appeal for a third trial has been denied to convicted double murderer Mark H. Lankford.
In a 25-page order filed last Friday, Dec. 6, Second District Court Senior Judge James F. Judd denied Lankford’s motion, which sought to overturn his conviction on allegations including witness perjury, prosecutorial misconduct, recantation of trial testimony and ineffective assistance of counsel. Reviewing each of Lankford’s allegations, Judd denied these on their failure to meet the criteria of law or that no proof of evidence was available.
Lankford, 57, is currently serving two fixed life sentences for the 1983 murders of Arizona couple Marine Capt. Robert and Cheryl Bravence. Both Mark and his brother, Bryan, were convicted in a 1984 trial on the murders.
Following subsequent appeals, Mark’s case was retried in 2008 where he was again convicted on the murders. On appeal, Bryan’s sentence was reduced to life in prison, and he is tentative to be released on parole in 2018, pending review by the Idaho Commission on Pardons and Parole.
The Bravence family is campaigning for public support to place pressure on the commission to reverse its decision and deny Bryan, 55, parole.
More like this story
- Solar eclipse: Protect your eyes with proper solar filters
- Lush green grass:Lawn sprinkling systems help
- Athletes and injuries: Routine adjustment can help
- From volunteers to employees: Grangeville Health and Rehabilitation is a way of life for local Farris twins
- H.R. 3144 protects salmon and affordable hydro power
- Majestic vistas: Take in view of Seven Devils
- Online auctions: Internet marketing can work for you
- Controlling your message: Who are you again?
- Hitting the “dusty” trail: Dry weather can cause debris to clog air filters
- St. Mary’s nurses: Everyday heroes in the health care field making a difference
Neighborhood Experts: Gobidtoday.com
Gobidtoday is your local source for competitively priced goods. Enlarge
Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)